Pages

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Grilled Hamburgers w/Sausage and Bacon

I like to experiment with food and a couple of weeks ago I had an idea. I combined the flavor of sausage with traditional charcoal grilled hamburger for something a little different. I liked it so much the first time I tried it, I wanted to share it on the bbq blog. I hope you like it.

Grilled Hamburgers w/Sausage and Bacon

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs. ground CAB 80% lean / 20% fat hamburger
• 1 lb. ground pork sausage
• 1 large onion
• 6 slices of bacon
• Pepper jack cheese (or Swiss if you prefer)
• French’s original mustard

Directions: 
  • Chop the onion.
  • Combine the hamburger, sausage and finely chopped onion in a medium sized mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
  • Form meat into patties that are the size of half-a-fist
  • Cook on medium hot (350-400 degrees) grill to medium-well (160-165 degrees internal temperature).
  • Resist the temptation to "smash" or "flatten" the patties (you'll release all the juicy goodness) :-)
  • Add a slice of pepper jack or Swiss cheese for each burger.
  • Top with ½ slice of fried bacon.
  • Serve with mustard on a plain hamburger bun.

Grilled hamburger, medium well
You could use almost any type of sausage, but I prefer something with a little heat and heavy sage seasoning. We used Jimmy Dean's for these, but Italian or Polish style sausage would also work. If you prefer to leave out the sausage, you could even use turkey and add some chopped onions to the mix.


Hamburger, pepper jack cheese, topped with bacon and French's mustard
Some of you may be wondering, "where's the lettuce and tomato?" I prepare mine without the "garden" items, but I don't hold it against anyone the prefers a "deluxe" burger. (That's what we called them when I used to flip burgers at the DQ in high school.)

We served our grilled hamburgers with zucchini fries
Here's a link to the zucchini recipe from Health.com. Basically we cut the zucchini into 3 inch strips; prepared an egg and milk mixture; dipped the sticks into the egg wash; rolled in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; and cooked at 425 degrees on baking rack on top of a baking sheet. The baking rack helps keep them from getting "mushy" and sticking to the baking sheet.

3 comments:

Cams said...

That looks delicious, but for me, surprisingly the zucchini fries were the shining star. They look delicious. Will you be putting up the recipe for them as well? What were they seasoned with? Is it cheese on them? No disrespect to the burger which looked mouthwatering good, but I would really like to hear more about the fries as well.

Mains Fed Water Cooler said...

This is my first time visiting your website, but I found a lot of interesting information. From the volume of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one! Keep the good work up.

Chris said...

I've used a combo of beef and bratwurst before too, very good.